Oven-roasted asparagus seasoned with earthy za'atar and fiery chili flakes and served as a side dish.
Asparagus season is still a few months away, but that doesn't stop me from making this delicious (and incredibly easy-to-prepare) nutritious side dish!
How to roast asparagus
Roasting asparagus is incredibly easy! Simply toss all the ingredients together and place onto a lined baking sheet.
Asparagus is done when it is easily pierced with a fork. Thin asparagus will be done in as little as 10 minutes, while the spears pictured above took 12 minutes. Thick spears will take about 15 minutes.
Pairing with main dishes
Roasted asparagus pairs nicely with just about everything. Check out a few of the main dishes I've paired it with below:
It's really up to you. However, I prefer the thick stalks as they tend to be heartier and easier to cook. The thin ones become mushy (as opposed to tender) and can't last long enough in the heat to develop flavour. There is a misconception that the thick spears may be tougher or more bitter, but that's not true. Thick spears can stand up to high heat, allowing enough time for the exterior to brown a little while the inside cooks perfectly.
Choose bright green, firm spears of asparagus. The tips should be compact and not frayed. The spears should be straight and not wilted.
Choose the one you like best. All the blends I've tried would pair nicely with asparagus.
Yes! The bottoms are tough and have a woodsy flavour. Simply snap them off with your hands or trim with a knife.
Za'atar & Chili Roasted Asparagus
- 12 stalks asparagus
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon za'atar
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes optional
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Rinse asparagus and trim ends.
- In a large bowl, add all ingredients and toss.
- Place asparagus on a baking tray and bake for 12-15 minutes, depending on thickness.
- Serve warm or room temperature with lemon wedges on the side.
- 1 حزمة هليون
- زيت زيتون
- 1 ملعقة كبيرة زعتر
- ½ ملعقة صغيرة من رقائق الفلفل الحار اختياري
- ملح حسب الرغبة
- سخن الفرن إلى 375 درجة فهرنهايت.
- اغسل الهليون وأزل الأطراف.
- في وعاء كبير، تضاف جميع المكونات وتقلب.
- يوضع الهليون على صينية خبز ويخبز لمدة 12-15 دقيقة.
- يقدم دافئا أو بدرجة حرارة الغرفة.
Leave a Reply