شراب تمر هندي
Enjoy this refreshing sweet and sour juice -- made from only tamarind, sugar and rose water -- this Ramadan.
During the holy month of Ramadan, Muslims around the world fast from dawn until dusk. That means no food or water from sunrise until sunset.
As fasting is a question of mind over matter, many Muslims are able to successfully curb their hunger pangs by thinking of the rewards of Ramadan. However, many fasting Muslims will also tell you of their water and juice cravings throughout the day.
As the sun wanes and the time for breakfast approaches, many Muslims reach for thirst-quenching and revitalizing drinks. One of the most popular drinks is called tamr hindi, or tamarind juice.
The pairing of sweet and sour makes this juice an ideal Ramadan drink.
Tamr Hindi in Syria
Tamarind juice is sold by street vendors dressed in traditional Damascene garb during Ramadan and in the summer.
Tamarind pods can be found in many Middle Eastern and Asian supermarkets.
Store it in a pitcher or container in the fridge for up to five days.
Yes! Most natural juices will separate due to the weight of the natural fruit ingredients. Simply stir with a long spoon before serving.
Add sugar, ¼ cup at a time.
Tamarind Juice - Sharab Tamr Hindi
- 1 kg tamarind pods
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- Using your fingers, crack the tamarind shells and remove the pulp. Remove the stalk and discard the shells.
- Place the pulp in a large heatproof bowl and add 3 cups of hot water. Allow to soak for 30 minutes. The pulp will soften and will allow you to remove the seeds with ease.
- Place a sieve over another bowl. Strain the tamarind pulp and, using your hands, squeeze the pulp.
- Repeat the process of straining and squeezing the pulp 2-3 more times until you're only left with the seeds.
- Pour tamarind juice and sugar into a saucepan and heat on medium-high heat until it simmers, about 6-7 minutes. Add rose water and stir.
- Allow the juice to cool before tasting it. If it is too tart, add sugar. If it is too sweet, add water.
- Chill in the fridge for 4-6 hours before serving.
Leave a Reply