سلطة جزر المبشور
A vibrant shredded carrot salad tossed with bright parsley and tangy pomegranate molasses.
This Middle Eastern salad, known as salatat jazar in Arabic, is terrific for outdoor gatherings!
This delicious, crisp-tender salad is among the most flavourful you'll ever eat. Similar to Moroccan carrot salad, this one features shredded raw carrots and tangy pomegranate molasses as the star ingredients. While this salad requires only a few ingredients, it tastes a lot more complex that it looks. The sweetness and tartness of this salad means it pairs easily with sandwiches, stews, pilafs (such as mujaddara) or as a meal on its own!
This salad is easy to make and keeps in the fridge for up to three days. Its a great way to use up any carrots in my vegetable bin and the proportions are flexible, depending on what you have on hand. The hardest part is grating the carrots, but you can use a food processor fitted with a coarse grater.
Carrots: Start with the best carrots you can find, preferably organic. Since carrots are a root vegetable, not only are they tastier when grown in compost-rich soil, they more nutritious!
Tomatoes: Select firm, ripe tomatoes.
Parsley: Use flat-leaf parsley.
Pomegranate molasses: Known as dibs ruman, pomegranate molasses is an essential ingredient in the Arab pantry and is used to heighten many savoury dishes. It has a distinct sweet and sour taste and its intensity adds depth and complexity to many dishes.
Garlic: Always use freshly-peeled garlic.
Olive oil: For salads, always use a high quality, extra virgin olive oil.
How to make shredded carrot salad
- Start by washing the carrots and trimming off the ends. Using a box grater or a food processor fitted with a coarse grater, grate the carrots and put them in a large mixing bowl.
- Wash and dice the tomatoes. Add them to the bowl.
- Wash and chop the parsley. You can chop them as coarsely or finely as you desire. Add them to the bowl.
- Mince the garlic clove and add it and remaining ingredients to the bowl and toss to mix. Serve cold or at room temperature.
Shred the carrots using a box grater but don't shred them too finely, as they will soon turn limp and lose their texture. I always shred them using the coarse holes of a box grater.
If you are serving this salad for guests, you can chop all vegetables in the morning and keep them in the fridge. Add the dressing and toss when ready to serve.
This salad is good so long as the carrot remains crisp, which can be up to three days. Store it in an airtight container.
You can, but cilantro will alter the flavour of this salad. I think you really need the bright flavour of the parsley to round out the earthiness of the carrots.
Yes! You can add either fresh or dried mint to this recipe.
Tangy Pomegranate Molasses & Carrot Salad
- 2 carrots shredded
- 2 tomatoes
- ¼ cup parsley chopped
- 3 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and serve.
- If making in advance, only combine the carrots, tomatoes, parsley and garlic in a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients right before serving.
Leave a Reply